Sunday, August 16, 2009

Qualities of Bodhicitta

The qualities of developing
Such an aspiration are
Fully explained by Maitreya
In the Array of Trunks Sutra.

I've been posting my remarks in the comment section. Since this blog hasn't been the discussion I originally planned, I'm moving them to the front page. If you have a comment to make, you are still free to make it in the comments section.  I try to do two verses a week. This week I came up short because I've been busy with Lama Gursam's visit. 

The sutra mentioned in this verse is the Gandavyuha Sutra, which is included in the Avatamsaka Sutra. According to the commentary I have from Geshe Sonam Rinchen, the sutra lists two hundred good qualities of bodhicitta, the aspiration for enlightenment. Taking this vow multiplies the merit of whatever virtuous activity we perform immeasurably.  This is because the activity is directed to the best possible goal, the liberation of all beings. Even our neutral activity, such as sleeping generates merit. We also come under the protection of all the buddhas, bodhisattvas, and dharma protectors, as we are working for the same purpose.  Our afflictive emotions lessen and equanimity increases. There are just some of the qualities mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment